Saturday, July 30, 2011

BzzAgent: About.Me


Okay, as you can see, I'm updating my BzzAgent account, and here is yet another online program I was accepted into. I'm not as content with this one...It seems a little silly to me. I'm glad it is free to everyone, because there is no way I would pay for something like this. I guess maybe if you were a huge social networker, you might could see the advantage. Well, let me tell you about what it is *supposed to do* and then I will tell you why I don't think it does it well. And then, you can try it out at about.me to see how you like it! Be sure to let me know in the comments below! :)

What is about.me?
Connect all of your online networks on a personal about.me page. It's your unique online business card, and if you join today you'll receive MOO business cards for free.

A lot of us have multiple online profiles scattered across various services, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr, and Twitter. And one problem we face is pulling all of this information together to build a single on-line identity — be it for personal use, or to create a professional on-line profile. We've focused on enabling you to:

Create your personal splash page

Quickly build a personal and dynamic splash page that points visitors to your content from around the web.
Example Splash Page

Have fun with the numbers

Understand how many people see your profile, where they're coming from, and what they do on your page.
Example Dashboard
Okay, so now to me, it sounds like it should be more business related...Like linking your business accounts or facebook pages together and getting some business cards to help with that. Right? I mean seriously, if you have that many personal social networks that you can't keep up with them all, then maybe you need to condense (aka you are spending too much time in internet lala land and not enough time with the real people in your life). I'm seriously not trying to be rude or mean here, but why the heck would I want a business card with my personal facebook and twitter information on it to hand out? That's just weird...I think I would be totally freaked out if someone I met handed me a freakin' business card to look them up on facebook. I wouldn't think much of it if it was an actual business account though, along with their business information, phone number, email addy, facebook, twitter, etc. Anyway, my point is this: I tried it out and unsuccessfully found out that I could not link my facebook page The Couponing Mommy to the account. It would only let me use my personal facebook page. So, with that being said, unless I don't know what the heck I'm doing (which is possible, lol), that means that this site FAILS to do what is advertised. You can do a URL, but every time I tried to do a URL to my facebook page (The Couponing Mommy), it gave me a "it's not you, its us something bad happened" error code. And the same was happening when I tried to link this blog through it...And they even claim they link up with Blogger as a part of their advertisement. So, I'm not real sure what to say about this one. It's not working as advertised, and I guess I'm just not so into myself that I feel the need to have an account to link accounts together and have a business card to flash around to let people know how to follow me personally. So, if you are still interested, and want to see if I ever manage to link anything to it here I am on about.me:
http://about.me/thecouponingmommy

Update* I finally managed to get the site to link my accounts. But, it was backwards that I had to do it doing a URL...Kind of like I had to use a "back door" and sneak in...LOL!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share